Monday, January 4, 2010

Review - (500) Days Of Summer

Losing Time…

(500) Days Of Summer

Score: 7,0

I had little interest in watching this movie, mainly because I have no sympathy for the leading couple. They’re boring and uninteresting. Thet are directed by Marc Webb, in his first movie. He used to direct before short films and music videos for artists and bands like Counting Crows, Snow Patrol, Fergie, Good Charlotte, Green Day, 3 Doors Down, Backstreet Boys, Maroon 5, Wallflowers, Jesse McCartney, Daniel Powter, Weezer, Evanescence, Gavin DeGraw, Lenny Kravitz and Incubus. Great list. But to my surprise it is not totally bad. But it’s not really good either. I could have been better.

The story is about a young man, Joseph Gordon Levitt, who reminds me a lot of Heath Ledger, in an ugly-teenager version, who falls for a girl at work, Zooey Deschanel, who’s not very friendly to the others apparently. But she actually responds to his moves and they start a kind of relationship, but he was much more into her, than she was into him.

And then we see the 500 days since he knew her and we have to witness all those terrible disillusion moments, and who’s been through the same thing, can’t find this picture funny at all. Even more when the significant other is Zooey. She’s a bad actress, weird, boring, and kinda dumb about herself. The personification of the word loser. She tries to be like Kirsten Dunst or Claire Danes, but she’s not good enough.

The only role of hers I actually enjoyed was in Almost Famous. She’s not particularly good, but everything around her works brilliantly, and the screenplay is awesome. I heard she’s fine in Weeds, but I haven’t watched the episodes she’s in. The films I saw her acting, The Happening, Yes, Sir, etc., they’re all bad. And she ain’t good either. And is it just me, or they don’t match at all? He’s too juvenile for her. But it actually makes sense. It’s not a Love story after all.

And we can tell that it was done by a music videos director when the best scene is a musical sequence with “You Make My Dreams” by Hall & Oates (I love, love, love the 80’s!!!). At least the soundtrack is great, even though the songs are totally different and don’t make sense together. The movie was well received by most critics and has received nominations for awards that have separate categories for comedies. And I agree, the plot is not cliché at all, even though the ending reminded me of My Best Friend’s Wedding, which is much better than this one. But I still think it could’ve been better.

No comments:

Post a Comment